– Election is the act of God from eternity past (before creation) in which He chooses whom to save, not on account of any foreseen merit in them, but only because of His own gracious pleasure.
– Israel is the foremost paradigm for understanding God as an electing God. Gen 12; Deut 7:6
– Election is but a subset of God’s absolute sovereignty over all things. Psa 135:6-7; Prov 16:33, 21:1; Eph 1:11
– Election is explicitly taught in Romans 9, where Paul explains that it is God’s gracious chosen to have mercy on whom He wills and to harden whom He wills.
– The NT presents election as a comfort. Rom 8:28-30