– The impulse to withhold from a spouse in response to their failure to love well comes from a worldly notion of love, “I am to love only as well as I’m loved.” Christlike love pours itself out regardless of the performance of the one loved.
– Your responsibility to your spouse is ultimately your responsibility to the Lord.
– The “one another” commands indicate that the Christian life is to be lived in transparency and sharing. If that is true of a normal Christian relationship, it should be an even higher priority in marriage.
– The Bible depicts marriage as a one-flesh relationship, the sharing of two people physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
– Jesus did not withhold Himself from His bride.
– Guard against bitterness by keeping your eyes on Jesus, who has always loved well those who spurn Him.